4.5.06

Confucius Teaches

If you've read the esteemed MM's memoirs as I did, cover to cover, inclusive of Index [sekali I was mentioned how], you'd know that he idolizes Confucius and his teachings greatly. In fact, his dream is to create a Confucian society in Singapore instilling all of us with the values and teachings of Confucius.

So, I have to see where we stand now. Have we achieved the man's dreams, or do we fall short?

Here's a few quotable quotes of Confucius:



An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger.
Me: How true, how true.

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
Me: Modesty? Hah! All I see in the papers each day is "I OWN YOU MOTHERFUCKER". Wait, not in the papers, but also in my IRAS notice, CPF notice, TP summons, Defamation suits etc.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Me: Example a Minister of State. I'd love it. For 1.2 million a year, I'd surely love it.

Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven.
Me: Lifts and sheltered footpaths however depend upon others.

He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
Me: Uh huh, I understood, "government" "keep its place" "turn towards". Aight, I geddit!

He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good.
Me: So like is it modest if I go, "So sue me la?".

Never give a sword to a man who can't dance.
Me: This was for the ones who "smell" like teen spirit.

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.
Me: Right. Goals = Form the government. Action steps = Kill the opposition

When you are laboring for others let it be with the same zeal as if it were for yourself.
Me: It's really quite hard to labour for lifts and healthcare for others when you're living in prime real estate and getting treated in private hospitals.

So, I guess I've proven my point that the age of Confucius is still a long time coming. But it's ok people, we still have the Last Emperor to lord it over us. We will be changed.

Majulah Singapura! The Pledge! The Children's Day song!
[sama sama maju kehadapan, pandai cari pelajaran, jaga diri dalam kesihatan, certa sompan santun, dengan kawan kawan.....]

, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

No comments: