29.11.05

Green Street Elite

I am just done watching the Green Street Elite in Green Street Hooligans, a fantastic Brit film. Thank you Vikram.



Fantastic is about the only word that I can use, watch it, I totally identify with it. Resonates to the bone. The language, the brotherhood, the naivete and the sheer balls of these individuals called the GSE. Every football club in Europe has a firm. What's a firm, well it's a gang. Not exactly a gang but a football gang. Their only affiliation is the football club they support which is more than likely their neighbourhood resident club. So, the aim is just to get the reputation of their own Firm to be the best in their city or even the country. And you do this by bashing all other Firms at matches, the greatest insult of course is to get bashed in your own home turf.

The movie profiles the GSE, who are West Ham's firm as they whack other London firms and finally one of the main characters dies in a fuckin big time brawl with arch enemies and neighbours, Millwall. BTW, seems Tottenham's and Arsenal's firm stink.

Watch it. You won't regret it. Also, catch Revolver [directed by Guy Ritchie].


"I've never lived closer to danger, but I've never felt safer.

I've never felt more confident, and people could spot it from a mile away.

And as for this, the violence? I gotta be honest - it grew on me.

Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go."

No comments: